Federal Defenders of San Diego Inc.
SAN DIEGO OFFICE
225 Broadway Ste 900
San Diego, CA 92101
Toll Free: 888-614-9867
EL CENTRO OFFICE
1699 W. Main St. Suite D
El Centro, CA 92243
Toll Free: 877-404-9063
- About FDSDI
Members of the Federal Defenders team share a commitment to excellence and a passion for justice in representing indigent people accused of myriad federal criminal offenses. Learn more.
- For Clients & Families
- Federal Defenders seeks to recruit attorneys and interns who strive for excellence, are willing to battle time and again against all odds, and who are committed to toiling tirelessly to protect the rights of the indigent accused.
- Legal Community
- Get the latest FDSDI news and other legal community news links.
- Learn about FDSDI's Defending a Federal Criminal Case & purchase online today!
- Contact Us
- En Espaņol
FDSDI was charted in 1972 under the Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law for public purposes. FDSDI is governed by a nine-member board of directors. The board selects and oversee the executive director for the organization. The board meets approximately quarterly to discuss the business of the organization and projects of the board as a whole.
The board names four officers – President (two-year term) and the Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer (one-year term). To facilitate its work it has a number of committees, both standing and ad hoc. Examples include Finance, Management Liaison, Awards and Annual Dinner, Board Development, Nominating, Audit, etc.
At the Annual Defender Dinner, which it sponsors, the board presents the Paul Bell Award for excellence in appellate advocacy and the E. Stanley Conant Award for excellence in trial advocacy.
Members are chosen by the present board for three-year terms. They receive no compensation for their service.
At present the FDSDI Board of Directors includes:
- President: Elizabeth Missakian, Criminal Defense Attorney
- Vice President: Andrew Nietor, Criminal Defense Attorney
- Secretary: Arthur Campbell, Professor of Law, California Western School of Law
- Chief Financial Officer: Charles Bird, Civil Appellate Attorney, McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Frederick W. Kosmo, Jr., Partner, Wilson Turner Kosmo LLP
- Alex Landon, Criminal Defense Attorney, Criminal Law Specialist
- Shaun P. Martin, Professor of Law, University of San Diego School of Law
- Jami Ferrara, Criminal Defense Attorney
- Non-director serving on an advisory basis to the Audit Committee is Kim Ufford, Certified Public Accountant with Levitzacks